Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 25th

Tonight, there was a candlelight vigil to celebrate Charles' life (affectionately called "Occupy Charles"). It was held at UMass Lowell's South Campus. As weird as this may sound, it was a great night. I would have to guess at least 100 people showed to share in a moment of silence and their favorite memories of Charles. While each story was different, they all had the same theme - Charles was the friendliest and nicest guy. He was one of those people that when you met him, it felt like you knew him forever. Yes, there were tears, but there was laughter too. And lots of hugs. I know if Charles was there, he'd have some funny quip or dance or song to make us all laugh and forget about why we were even sad in the first place. (and then complain about the cold and ask if we could move inside!)

I left the vigil with a new outlook on the situation. Yes, I am sad that I'll never get to see his big smile, hear him sing "VICKY DAYYY!", or give him a hug, but I know he lives on. And I know he would want us to smile. He would want us to live life to the fullest, grasp every opportunity and go for it. Go for what you want in life. I plan on doing just that.

1 comment:

  1. I was so sorry to hear of Charles' passing. For the few times I met him, he was genuinely friendly and a great person. It looks like he reached a lot of people and it must have been nice to see them all come out to show their support.

    ReplyDelete